Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Gold Lipped, simple and understated

The candles in my bedroom are lit and I am feeling slightly sentimental, touched. Maybe it's Julie Andrew's singing "Feed the Birds" in the background that is shifting my mood like glitter in a glass snow globe. I'm missing my grandmother, my nammie tonight. I guess the after effects of Mother's Day is catching up. I miss my nammie, I miss her laugh, I miss her clanging the silver wear at two in the morning, I miss her pile of library books on the side of the sofa, I just miss her.

Mother's Day was difficult. I wore my smile and placed my sorrow in a velvet lined pocket. Safe. I understood as the holiday approached my mother would be deeply effected and there is no use in two people being unhappy. Regardless of the color blue tinting our hearts the day turned pink with a genuine happiness. Mumsie and I went to tea to celebrate, she had pineapple, coconut tea and I peach, apricot with several egg salad and cucumber sandwiches. Tres yummy. Bringing up the word pink again, prior to be being seated, I spotted a petite tea cup in the foyer. The word sweet came to mind when I thought of the Royal Grafton, gold lipped piece of perfection. I had to buy it, purchase it, take it-I needed it. Mumsie informed me that I would not bedoing any such thing. She said to put my wallet away. I did as instructed and presto, she bought it for me. The cup is pink, my nammie's color, simple and understated like nammie herself. Mumsie said the money being used was actually nammies. The item in question would be in all senses the last gift my nammie would buy me, a tea cup and saucer. I was tickled pink.

Shortly after we visited nammie, tea cup and saucer in hand at the cemetery. My grandfather, mumsie dear and I left flowers and then headed to my grandmother Nelly's house. We had a wonderful time talking, having food and a rather delicious glass of sangria laced with brandy. I also received my birthday presents. Three framed photographs of my great grandparents: Jeese I and Cora/Victoria-Gonzalo and Maria, and my grandparents: Jesse II and Nellie. I still have the smile on my face. The photos are beautiful black and whites set in the 1920's, 1950's and present day.

Song Choice: Feed The Birds.

Present days and present situations, I am mailing my book: Skipping Through Shadows, off this week to my friend Leiliani to edit. I am beginning to read it now and think, oh dear, I should draft it again. Life is fleeting as is inspiration but flaws are forever. Off it goes, wild as the wind....Here is yet another look into it, chapter two.

The heavy wooden doors to the infirmary swung open. Long faced and giant, Sister Amelior returned with basket full dried plants, stones and miniature glass bottles filled with multi colored liquids. A smaller nun with tan skin and magnanimous hazel eyes walked beside her. Bhuka recognized the nun from somewhere but could not place her. Though in the smaller nun’s slender hands Bhuka noticed she held a golden thurible. Bhuka starred curiously at it. Especially since the thurible had a curious French phrase engraved on its carved side: le parfum de la sainteté.

“What’s le parfum de la sainteté mean? Bhuka asked, creeping under her wrinkled bone colored sheets.

The smaller nun looked elfin standing next to tall, Sister Amelior as she answered. “Miss Spook, le parfum de la sainteté roughly translates to the perfume of the holy.”

Sister Amelior scowled as she sat her cumbersome wicker basket on an aged wooden dressing table across from Bhuka’s bed. “Sister, would you stop wasting time chatting with the child and set the thurible down. We have work to do.”



No comments:

Post a Comment